Rutherford Robertson, P.A. 704-792-1011
Take advantage of the experience of Rutherford Robertson, P.A. so that you can make informed decisions as you close one chapter of your life and enter into the next.

Mediation is a process where a third party neutral assists the parties in an attempt to reach a resolution without formal court hearings and trials.  North Carolina requires that parties with child custody issues participate in child custody mediation.  The only topic discussed in mediation is custody.  This requirement can be waived under these circumstances:  one party lives more than 50 miles from court; one of the parties suffers from alcoholism, abuses drugs, or abuses the other party; one of the parties abuses or neglects the children; one of the parties suffers from psychological, psychiatric, or emotional problems.  Attorneys do not attend child custody mediation. Unfortunately, there are instances when parties are unable to resolve their child custody issues at the conclusion of the mediation process.  In those instances, the matter will proceed to a hearing or trial.  It is always better for parents to agree to a child custody arrangement at mediation rather than have a judge, who knows nothing about you and your situation, decide when and for how long you get to be with your child.  I strongly encourage my clients to try to reach a custody agreement during the mediation process.

Alimony and property division must also go through the mediation process before a trial can be had on the merits.  During this process, Rutherford Robertson, P.A. will assess the value of your assets and liabilities in an attempt to uncover and fairly distribute them among the parties. 

related services are Child Custody and Property Division

Recent Publications

Children in Custody Disputes, Do's And Dont's
Sometimes when parents are divorcing or are in a custody dispute they tend to lose sight of the important things with regard to their children's rights and sensitivities.
[Read More...]

The Process For An Uncontested Divorce
To get a divorce after the requisite one year of separation, you must file a Complaint and Civil Summons with the court, generally in the county you reside.
[Read More...]

Get in Touch

  • Phone:
    Ph:704-792-1011 / Fax:704-792-0901
  • Request Info:
    Submit An Email
  • Address:
    30 Church St S,
    Concord, NC 28025